ALYSIA REINER (BETTER THINGS, ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK, SIDEWAYS, and star/prod. of the feature EQUITY ) Caryn was the first and best audition class I ever took. She is a genius of both technique and actor psyche and cutting through habits that hinder us. I use many of her techniques both in auditions and on set, like today!”
THE AUDITION INTENSIVE
“Real Tools for Working Actors”
CARYN WEST this award-winning actress and teacher is the only one selected in both NYC and LA as one of “THE BEST AUDITION COACHES” in BACKSTAGE’S WEST and EAST polls and has taught at many prestigious drama schools on both coasts. A veteran actress & coach, she first devised this class 25 odd years ago based on her own and clients’ experiences. Ever evolving with the seismic shifts in our industry, Caryn still auditions, self tapes, and works…just like her students. Bio and Video
CONSTANTLY UPDATING FOR COVID ERA COMPETITIVENESS
The Zoom/ Live Stream Audition Checklist, The Home Self Tape Equipment Checklist, Preparation, Memorization, How to Deliver in Quick Turnarounds, Achieve great Home Taping Setups without breaking the bank. Community support.
2023 Winter Offerings
KELLY AUCOIN (“Dollar Bill” on BILLIONS, THE AMERICANS, HOUSE OF CARDS etc)“Caryn’s workshop is just the best. So much savvy feedback on how to attack a scene, and give your best performance. How to identify the style of the project you’re going up for. But also, just such incredibly detailed advice on tech, what the decision-makers are ACTUALLY looking for, when they want it, and what — fair or not — they want it to look like. She’s rigorous, but super supportive. And just a f*cking blast to be around. ”
NECAR ZADEGAN (Lead MAYOR OF KINGSTON, CBS’ NCIS: NOLA, HBO’s HERE AND NOW, regular on GIRLFRIENDS’ GUIDE TO DIVORCE, EMILY OWENS M.D., EXTANT, and “24”): “Caryn very quickly understands scenes and characters and where the scene should go is always supported by her keen eye for specifics. Her audition technique class is singular amidst the rest…She is clear about why auditioning is an art unto itself…Under Caryn’s tutelage, I really had a chance to hone the art of specificity within my acting but also entirely within my life as an artist..
Caryn is all about content... with many handouts to guide you. This highly acclaimed workshop is preparation-oriented and geared to the market of film and television but helps your theater auditions as well.
- Internet Readiness “the New PreRead” : Google-ability, ImdbPro visibility, cutting edge social media handouts
- Foundations of Courage and Career Boost Tools
- Camera Script Analysis and Preparation, Dramaturgy: Making Choices informed by Story Structure, Genre-Specific Choices
- Camera Technique for Taped Auditions
- The Tricks CDs Can’t Tell You at Workshops
- Networking: New ways to create relationships and stay in touch, The Special Prep for CD Workshops
- Your Contagion: Do you attract or repel casting to your value?
- The Power of the First Moment
- Breathing: Your Eyes, Releasing Tension, Dropping into Subtextual Moments
- Eliminating Self Sabotage and Nerves
- 1-6 liners: “Co-stars are actually harder!”
- Stillness vs. the Smartphone
- Ease and Effortlessness: Being Present and Playful
- Artistry- your unique take on the work and your deepest choices
KEVIN KILNER ( veteran actor, lead on 3 series ) “Run to Caryn, do not walk. I’ve been a Professional over 30 years, studied with some gifted, excellent teachers. No one is more talented, thorough & on the edge of what is the latest in the Industry, Social Media’s use in it, script analysis, & acting craft for the camera. If you are looking for the Real Deal? It’s Caryn West.”
PATRICIA RICHARDSON (Series lead HOME IMPROVEMENT, WEST WING, STRONG MEDICINE, 4 Emmy nominations took the AUDITION INTENSIVE twice!): “Did an amazing workshop with Caryn West last weekend/auditioning/goal setting/marketing /learned SO MUCH! Inspiring and exhausting, invaluable”